Paul and Howard discuss how medicine is changing, and how some common procedures and ideas that were once accepted practice are being abandoned. They also talk about the merits of shouting at your legs, and whether it’s possible to mainline red wine.
- Why some procedures become accepted practice, despite poor evidence
- The “six weeks” myth in recovering from a soft tissue injury
- Examples of common procedures being rethought, or abandoned altogether
- Some candidates for future medical reversals
- How the coronavirus is creating a natural experiment in which procedures are necessary
- Fear and surgical decision making
- Medical Reversal: Why We Must Raise the Bar Before Adopting New Technologies
- Natural experiments
Disclaimers apply (at the end of the episode).
About The Show
Simplavida is about smart services and tools for simplifying longevity. Its co-founders are Dr. Paul Kedrosky and Howard Luks M.D.
Paul Kedrosky is a frequently injured athlete and a venture capitalist. Howard Luks is a top sports orthopedic surgeon. Smart, candid, and experienced analysis, ideas and tips about health, fitness, and longevity from two athletes and sports orthopedic surgeon—and guests.