Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
– Albert Einstein
True Thought Leaders in Medicine and Social Media
The discussion surrounding key opinion leaders, thought leaders and ‘influencers’ in medicine and healthcare deserves further attention.
Those who grasp(ed) the emerging realities in healthcare policy, HIT and rapidly emerging new media trends … and lead others to show them the way are the KOLs I follow.
- they emerged “organically” on Twitter and their blogs: @kentbottles and @philbaumann are two who deserve mention
- they have a clear grasp … or are honest when they don’t — of the rapidly changing environs we work in
- Many of us are subject to violent opposition locally… yet experience international recognition for our efforts.
We were not created by an industry — we understand —or try very hard to understand the emerging reality tunnels
We should not be elevated to being a thought leader by a manufacturer … t0 push agendas or products because we look the part or present well on stage.
We should not be elevated to this position because a marketing department head believes that’s who we should be.
We should not be an overnight creation or sensation at the whim of those who hold the reigns…
Social Media and Emergence of Key Opinion Leaders in Medicine
We are not brave or brilliant… we think and we ponder — and we speak up (or blog). – I’m far too humble to think otherwise.
YOU decide who the key opinion leaders are and if our message resonates – and thus offers value.
Key opinion leaders in medicine and social media deserve recognition, a podium and a means to spread their message far and wide.
With the dramatic evolution of:
- Medicine and Social Media
- Mobile Health
- Electronic Records
- Shared Decision Making
- Cost controls
- Service line refinements
- Captive practices and emerging employment models
- Government Intervention and regulations
The need to look to relevant, engaging, and perhaps provocative KOLs and thoughts leaders in healthcare will rise dramatically as the landscape we knew molds and changes afoot like the sands I stood upon during my recent vacation.